1.22.2014

Box Mix Recipes

I love to bake. I have since my Aunt Meg taught me how to make oatmeal cookies when I was five.  I love it still...the measuring, mixing, and of course tasting. It is the one are that I feel like I slow down and enjoy the process. Now that being said, sometimes you need a dessert quick. Last minute dinner party, friend coming over for coffee, husband wanting a warm sweet before bed (think food people!)
These are a couple of my favorite, "box mix recipes". Easy to pull out and put together, but still a little more than just the mix.

Chocolate Pudding Cake (via my friend Maggie, via her friend Michelle)
pic via internet


1 yellow cake mix (pudding in the middle)
1 small box of instant chocolate pudding
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup chocolate chips 
1/2 cup butterscotch chips (I use peanut butter because I heart peanut butter chips)

Mix all except chips, then add chips.  Bake at 350 in bundt pan for
45-50 minutes.  Cool 1 1/2 hours or more.  Flip it out and sprinkle
w/powdered sugar.

***The only negative to this cake, is that it is sooo moist it sticks to the pan very easily. To help prevent this, I always double butter/flour the pan and let it cool after for HOURS. Even if it sticks a bit, you can cover with plenty of powdered sugar :)

Chocolate Toffee Trifle
picture via internet
I might have shared this one before as it is my nephew Sam's favorite. 
2 boxes of brownie mix
1 large box of chocolate pudding mix
heavy whipping cream, vanilla, sugar to make whipped cream (don't know measurements, I just eye ball and taste)
1 bag of toffee chips
Bake brownies according to instructions, allow to cool and then break up in bite size pieces. Make pudding and whipped cream. 
Assemble trifle: brownie, pudding, whipped cream, toffee pieces. Then repeat.
I like it best after 4+ hours in the fridge.

Peanut Butter Cake Mix Cookies
 (I also like the straight up cake mix cookies, which is very similar and I'm sure most of you have in your arsenal)

1 box of yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1/4 c. of unsalted butter (softened)
1/3 c. of water 
1 c peanut butter (I like crunchy)
1 to 2 c. milk chocolate chips
any chopped nut optional (sometimes I use 1c of nuts and 1 cup of chocolate chips or sometimes no nuts, so I increase the chips...whatever you are in the mood for!)
Preheat oven to 350. Cream, eggs, butter, water, and peanut butter together. Add cake mix, chips and nuts. Drop on cookie sheets and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Don't overcook as the best part is the gooey middle. 


Cinnamon Coffee Cake (adapted from all recipes)
picture via internet

1 box of yellow cake mix
1 package of vanilla pudding mix
1 package of butterscotch pudding mix (I have used this and also left it out, not a big difference really)
4 eggs
1 cup of water
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 cup of chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan, or a 10 inch Bundt cake pan
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the cake mix, vanilla pudding mix, and butterscotch pudding mix. Add the eggs, oil and water, mix until well blended. In another bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts. Pour half of the batter into the pan, spread evenly. Sprinkle with half of the nut mixture. Cover with the rest of the batter, and sprinkle with the rest of the nut mixture.
3. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn the oven down to 325 degrees F  and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes. *I have never done more than 35 minutes

2 comments:

Natalie said...

yummmm

Nancy said...

Those all look so pretty & delish. Thanks for sharing! Every now & then my hubby likes a sweet surprise, so I'll try one of these!