8.07.2012

Holden's Birthday

Disclaimer: for documentation purposes this is very long, so please feel free to just scroll and look at pictures
 (all info as entered into your birth journal)
7/25/2012
Day before your arrival...We are so excited the time is finally here. We worked really hard today-busy, busy, saw around 100 patients. Pal and Pie took big brother Lane to spend the night at the Roost. He does not understand about baby brother coming but was very excited to go the the country to see the horses. We headed to Birmingham to eat dinner at Chez Fon Fon and check into the hotel. I had the Croque Madame and Pomme Frittes, James had the Lobster BLT. Dessert-chocolate and nut tart and blueberry cheesecake. I am officially fueled for delivery. Juju and Jana stopped by to visit on their way to dinner. We checked in to Hampton Inn for the night.
7/26/2012
Author: James
We began the day at 4:00 am with a cold shower at the Hampton Inn 280. They were apologetic and provided 100% refund. (side note by me: it probably didn't hurt that I waddled up to the desk and said I had a very uncomfortable cold shower on the morning I was having a baby) We arrived at the hospital (St. Vincents) around 5:00 am and checked into Room 322, huge room at the end of the hall. Nurse Terri got Rayne all hooked up. A random doctor broke Rayne's water at 5:45. Stats-2 almost 3 cm, 75% effaced. By 6:17 I (dad, James) have made two trips to the car for baggage. I placed a blanket on Rayne's legs. 8:25-4 cm.

Author swap to Cherry aka Pie
9:00 am-Dr. Carter administered epidural. James asked to watch and Dr. Carter instructed as he delivered the epidural. (side note by me: this was awesome for me as of course I just wanted him to hurry up!) Nurse Terri fixed up Rayne's blood pressure after it bottomed out after epidural, started Zofran and feeling much better.
Lacey and Ford stopped by. Ford has a cold and is not feeling well, but is still wanting to play! Molly and baby Rayne stopped by to check on progress bringing Dreamcake goodies. (and a birthing present to James that I had NO idea about!)
Pie, Ford, and Lacey
baby Rayne bringing in dreamcakes 

this is a good precursor to what is to come with Lane and his brother Holden














11:00- 5 cm check. Grandmomma and Grandaddy Osborn arrive.
12:00 6 cm- moving slowly, Dr. E checks in says everything is looking fine, changes Rayne position
1:00 Caroline and Maggie arrive bringing PastryArt goodies. Baby Bradford is taking it all in.
with Maggie and Caroline before delivery, can you tell my awesome position to get the baby to drop?






2:15-10 cm but baby is still high. Nurse Terry realizes that the catheter is not in, re-inserts and baby drops within minutes (think my bladder was full?!). Nurse sets room up and everyone heads to waiting room.
2:30-starts pushing, (sidenote by me: a little before the baby dropped I started feeling the contractions, they started getting stronger and I started being able to move my legs and feet. I talked to the nurse she said I could have a booster or just go with it. I decided to just go with it as I felt like he would be here soon. During the pushing, I felt every contraction to the point of intense pain and having to PUSH. Nurse Terri had to leave the room for a second and the worse pain I felt the whole time was not getting to push the two contractions she was gone. I now understand more fully what people mean when they say you feel like you HAVE to push. The upside of this was I could get out of bed and move around an hour after his arrival, much sooner than with Lane)
Author: Rayne
2:46: He is here...the rush of love and joy I feel is overwhelming. I can't believe you can feel this way again. I think my first words when I saw him were: "Oh my goodness, He is huge!" I could tell right away he was alot bigger than his big brother. Sure enough...8 pounds and 9 ounces. While they were cleaning him/weighing/ etc. James surprised me with a beautiful sapphire and diamond ring. Did I mention my husband has amazing taste? We then try to decide on a name. We had three we liked, and couldn't quite decide. Holden was a name that I liked even when pregnant with Lane. James and I talked for a few minutes and Holden Russell was decided. I think it fits him perfectly. He favors his older brother Lane but with darker hair, chubbier cheeks, and a Russell nose.

a little graphic, but love that you can see the time in the background
introducing Lane to Holden
first kiss from Daddy
Introducing Holden Russell Osborn to his family and friends







poor Bradford was quite the trooper, he made it several hours in the waiting room and then conked out! 
momma's turn

Jess and Emily with Holden
The next morning we were up and at 'em as we had a photographer coming to take pictures...a little ambitious looking back on things :) Pie and Pal brought us Demitri's french toast (ah-mazing!) for breakfast and G and G Osborn brought Lane back to hospital. 

these are good depictions of all he wanted to do, mash buttons
think the nurses got tired of us?!
Holden Day 2
Grandmomma and Grandaddy took Lane to Moulton for the weekend that afternoon, and we had our first facetime with the boys
hard to believe Aunt CKB will be doing this herself in a few weeks!
Aunt B and Uncle Michael drove down from Huntsville to see Holden 
headed home! 

 Before we left we met baby Crawford, Owen and Ashley Peak's new baby who was born one day after Holden. I know they will be great friends one day!
proud Daddys
7/28/2012 
Author: Rayne
We left the hospital a little more relaxed this go 'round. On our way home we stopped by JuJu's to pick up a cooler full of deliciousness she had prepared for us. We then made a Taziki's run for lunch (James has to have the pork sandwich if we are near), and we headed South. Holden did great, only crying for a minute getting settled into the car. I teared up as we pulled in to our neighborhood thinking of Holden and Lane playing there with all of their friends one day. (James rolled his eyes and contributed it to hormones) Such fun times ahead! 

8/3/2012 One week check up-weight: 9 pounds, 4 ounces (a whole pound gained since we left the hospital!) At least I know all of that nursing is going somewhere! Dr. A said everything is looking great. Now if we can get him sleeping more than 2.5- 3 hours, I will be a happier momma. 



5 comments:

Olivia said...

Congrats Rayne! He is beautiful and I love his name! Great birth story - Chez Fon Fon for dinner the night before,well done!

Anonymous said...

Holden is perfect!! Congratulations!

Molly Hargather said...

love this! and you look absolutely beautiful, friend!

Kristen said...

you'll be glad you have all those details one day to remember it all. I have the best intentions and then get distracted and later can't remember a thing! you look so good after he was born- wow! i hope i can just try not to look like a hot mess!
i laughed when you said james rolled his eyes when you teared up- those hubbies are funny! the picture of owen and james with the babies is great too!

Natalie said...

Amazing! He looks so much like his brother :)